Thursday 15 January 2015

Day 14: Adapting

Charlie is incredibly excited by the rabbits that live on our street. At first I thought they must be escaped pets; they are grey, black, grey and white patched. Not like our brown wild rabbits, only seen in the countryside. Perhaps they are former pets, but their colours are perfectly suited to their surroundings of snow and shadows; brown would be too obvious. Natural selection and survival of the fittest has allowed them to become the local residents. Their presence usually elicits a conversation something along the lines of this:
"Ooh rabbit. Charlie hold it."
"Erm..."
"Mummy catch it, Charlie hold it."
"They are very fast and difficult for mummy to catch, not like Amy's rabbits."
"Rabbit. Charlie catch it."
Followed by a look of expectancy.

She is still of an age where she thinks she can do anything. As we were walking to the pool yesterday, she looked up and said, "Big mountain. Climb it." As if we might postpone our swim and merrily yomp up and down Lady Macdonald and be back in time for tea.

I, on the other hand, have taken the glass half empty view of the world. I thought we wouldn't be able to leave the house because of the cold, yet minus 6 is absolutely fine for a stroll to the shops. Minus 10 may need an extra layer, but we still get out. I didn't believe Charlie would adapt. She loves the snow. She dives face first into it because she can, and would spend every hour of the day making footprints if she could.

There was a bouldering competition at elevation place as part of the tour de bloc at the weekend. I didn't believe I could complete a single route. We went today, and with some encouragement, I managed to complete 10 routes. I'll be going back before they change them. I reckon I might be able to do no. 12 with its overhang and arch.

Admittedly the temperature has been kinder these last few days, but I have shed some of my layers, and reverted to normal socks and walking shoes. The streets are mainly clear of snow, and my feet do not freeze the instant I step outside. I suppose,like the rabbits, I am starting to adapt to the cold, to the country, and to being more positive and open minded. It may be a new year's resolution I can keep. As long as it's not survival of the fittest.

1 comment:

  1. So nice to hear that Charlie is loving all the snow out there. Freyja is disappointed that we haven't had much at all here over the last few weeks.

    ReplyDelete