Thursday 12 March 2015

Day 71: Black runs

So how is your Lent going? My plans are 50/50. I've been swimming, skiing and doing yoga as planned. However, like an alcoholic, whose fall from grace is never with the finest scotch, but a bottle of lambrini or white lightning; mine was cooking chocolate. I started baking a banana loaf to use up the almost rotting bananas which had travelled to several ski resorts, and fou d myself standing at the kitchen counter, stuffing cheap chocolate drops into my mouth. I felt so dirty, but I couldn't stop myself.

Since then I have continued on a downhill streak. Even when I tried to be good  with orange slices and cream on my French toast, they mixed up my order and stuffed the centre with chocolate. I couldn't send it back though; that would have been rude (after I'd licked the plate clean).

On the plus side, my skiing has improved beyond measure. I had a 55 minute special at Mount Norquay: a one-to-one lesson for a quarter of the normal price. And it was really good. Despite my tutor telling me exactly the same things my husband had been saying for the last 3 weeks, I finally got it. I spent several petrifying moments convincing myself to ski off the top of a blue run on one leg with my poles balanced on the back of my hands, so as not to embarass myself in front of the teenager who was doing the same thing a few feet in front of me whilst skiing backwards.

It may sound like the weirdest way to learn to ski, but it forced me to focus on my balance rather than the seemingly vertical drop in front of me. So  ow I finish my turns fully, and have been dragged around every blue and several black runs we could find in the tri-ski area.


7 and a half minutes edited to 1.

My brother-in-law came to visit, and having had half the skiing experience of my own, proceeded to follow my husband down any run that took his fancy, despite my concerned, repetitive whine of, "is that a black diamond...?" He must have nerves of steel, or no fear. I survived though, and now feel I can ski a blue run, and at least get down a black. However, I did manage to fall over twice on completely flat areas again, so more bruises from incompetence.

We decided to risk Lake Louise today. Last time it was icy, and I hated it. Today we had a snow storm just as we reached the top of one of the mountains and had to ski over the top in little visibility. It basically reduces depth perception to so little, I may as well be skiing with my eyes closed. The resulting powder was fantastic, and despite a wrong turn down Ptarmigan, rather than Old ptarmigan, which was heart stopping, really enjoyable. (Can't get the picture in, but check out http://www.skibig3.com/trailmaps/ And look at run #1 on Louise). I was even convinced to attempt the Men's downhill, twice. I reached speeds of which I was proud, whilst keeping my turn shape and despite being overtaken by a six year old doing a snow plough. Luckily my weight advantage took me to the lodge and finishing line just in front, so pride saved.

I'm desperately trying to avoid chocolate bars, as that would be the pinacle of failiure. The improved skiing, and consequently aching legs, must balance out the misdemeanours, so I think I'm good. Just let there be a bottle of Merlot at the end of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment